Wednesday, August 30, 2006

STRANGE THINGS ARE HAPPENING...

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try driving more or less at the official speed limit, in an effort to save gas. In the first place, it seems to have worked--I got 40 miles more out of my last tank of gas than I had been accustomed to. But in the second place, other people seem to have slowed down too. Last time I paid serious attention to traffic speeds (back last Fall, I think), Chicago-area traffic generally moved at about 15 mph faster than the official speed on any given road, and even people doing 5 mph faster were likely to get dirty looks and tailgating. (A few years ago, my husband, when trying to keep to the official limit, actually got forced off the road by a truck.) Now most people seem to be doing 5 mph over the limit, and I have gotten no unpleasant reactions from my fellow drivers. Are people taking gas prices seriously?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home